Seems to be some confusion about this, further promulgated here. I don’t know when this changed, but in recent Marshmallow gapps you need to set your default app for “Assist & Voice Input” to the Google app for this to work.
Settings>>Apps>>Gear icon>>Default Apps>>Assist & Voice Input
Select Google App, and all is well. Now in Google settings, Now On Tap toggle will be flippable. Turn it on and you’re good to go.
I think I had to reset this after upgrading my rom, or maybe just after clearing cache. Anyhow, it works again. It’s one of those things you don’t figure out until you need it in a pinch. Handy feature.
I hit a few minor annoyances getting chirp working to program my Baofeng UV-B5.
I installed from the repo on Dan Planet’s Linux page for chirp, but then noticed I can get a daily in zip form. These instructions are necessary to use either of these programs.
First, since I’m on Fedora 24, I added the yum repository and installed the program with dnf. I had to find and install the proper python package with gtk bindings to get the gui working. On Fedora this is the pygtk2 package. For Debian derivatives it should be called python-gtk.
Next, I want to run as regular user, so I created a file /etc/udev/rules.d/50-ttyusb.rules with contents:
Then just make sure your user is in the dialout group and reboot.
Download and Upload to radio works now.
Who says radio is dead? We are hyperlocal today!
Just under eight inches so far.
The First Act delay pedal has some great old slapback and other delay features. I usually just use it to minimally fatten up mostly clean sounds, or for some classic rockabilly tape delay emulation.
One flaw that made it unusable was the volume boost when switching off the pedal; not much of a bypass. It’s quite jarring. Enter the Clay Jones mod.
The only glitch was once I got the thing open and got the first capacitor removed, the whole left side potentiometer linkage fell apart. The glob of wax or polymer goo holding it together was dried out and just came undone. Had to strip back the leads and re-attach them one by one. Added an extra half hour or so to the job. So far seems to be holding.
One final annoyance was the black knobs and their invisible indented dots to display level. Three tiny drops of paint later, and it’s a little more readable, especially on the floor.
This is not a how to; there’s plenty of documentation out there on this. But just to let it be known it does work. Happy modding, hackers!
As far as I can tell, Ohm’s law hasn’t changed since 1962.