Hacking the “toy” delay pedal

The First Act delay pedal has some great old slapback and other delay features. I usually just use it to minimally fatten up mostly clean sounds, or for some classic rockabilly tape delay emulation.
One flaw that made it unusable was the volume boost when switching off the pedal; not much of a bypass. It’s quite jarring. Enter the Clay Jones mod.
Success!

20140206-184810.jpg

20140206-184839.jpg

20140206-184920.jpg

20140206-185000.jpg

20140206-185032.jpg

20140206-185052.jpg

20140206-185121.jpg

20140206-185222.jpg

The only glitch was once I got the thing open and got the first capacitor removed, the whole left side potentiometer linkage fell apart. The glob of wax or polymer goo holding it together was dried out and just came undone. Had to strip back the leads and re-attach them one by one. Added an extra half hour or so to the job. So far seems to be holding.
One final annoyance was the black knobs and their invisible indented dots to display level. Three tiny drops of paint later, and it’s a little more readable, especially on the floor.
This is not a how to; there’s plenty of documentation out there on this. But just to let it be known it does work. Happy modding, hackers!

Advertisements

Opensuse 10.3 Japanese Input KDE Follow-up

I’m writing this post in konqueror, just for fun. If you managed to get uim and anthy working with the uim-applet in Gnome, KDE apps are almost as easy, and you don’t need to run uim-xim or any other p.i.t.a scripts or bridging hacks, as I’ve described in previous posts. The Konqueror binary I got from the Opensuse repository has uim support built right in. What does that mean? In a text input window, right click, select ‘uim:ja,ko,zh:*’ and then fire up uim anthy the same old way you would for a gnome app. (As I’ve said before, the uim-applet set-up options are too diverse to go into here, but I have managed to do it on Debian, Ubuntu, and Opensuse boxen without straying from graphical user interfaces, so don’t panic) And voila, 日本語! I suppose this would work in a straight KDE environment in any given KDE application (that’s compiled with uim support, of course), although I haven’t tried it that way. By the way, there is a KDE taskbar applet to control uim input, and you can use either it or the gnome applet in KDE. And, please, dear readers, let me know how things work out for you. I’m trying to pass on useful information here. Thanks! では、この切りで。